Join Bike New York on a voyage to Staten Island! We’ll enjoy inspiring Harbor views, beaches, sea breezes, and stop at two historical sites. First up: Fort Wadsworth, a former military fort with gorgeous views of the Verrazano bridge. Next, we’ll travel to the Alice Austen House Museum for a catered picnic and private tour. Alice Austen (1866 – 1952) was one of America’s earliest and most prolific female photographers and an early advocate for and photographer of women bicyclists. The tour will discuss Alice’s life and work and late 19th-century cycling. Among the highlights of the house: two period rooms and her original darkroom. Shutterbugs, it doesn’t get any better than this!
Register for this ride here: https://www.imathlete.com/#/legacy?url=%2Fevents%2FEventOverview.aspx%3FfEID%3D67382%26z%3D1512656542832
- Where You Gotta Be: The ride will begin at 10 AM at the steps of Staten Island Borough Hall. 10 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island NY. If coming from Manhattan by ferry, look for us on the lower level of the 9:30 AM ferry to St George.
- When You Gotta Be There: Before 9:30 AM if meeting in Manhattan, 10:00 AM if meeting on Staten Island
- How Far You’re Gonna Go: 12 miles (round trip). Track and share your ride with Strava.
- How Hard It’s Gonna Be: We’ll ride at a relaxed pace on local streets and bike paths, with a few stops along the way. Participants must have solid bike-handling skills, be able to ride in traffic, and be comfortable riding for several miles without stopping.
- What You’re Gonna Get: A delicious catered picnic, a guided Tour of Alice Austen House, snacks, experienced ride leaders, and—of course—great company and good times!
- What You Gotta Give: $35 non-members; $20 members; Registration is only available online and closes at 12PM on Friday, August 24th. Price includes catered lunch and a guided tour of the Alice Austen House. Proceeds fund our free bike education programs.
- What You Gotta Bring: Bike, helmet (no ifs, ands, or buts about it), water, sunscreen, weather-appropriate clothing, cash for food and/or activities, and a sense of adventure! (Other suggested items: bike lock, spare tube, snacks, and a bag to store all of the above.)